The S740 smartphone is a distant cousin of the HTC Diamond, featuring a similar sleek front and faceted back along with a similar feature set. Unlike the Diamond, the S740 does not sport a touchscreen and powered by Windows Mobile 6.1 Standard.
In place of the touchscreen, the company gave the S740 a traditional 12-key numeric keypad. Underneath the hood is HTC’s signature sliding QWERTY keyboard those who prefer a two handed messaging experience.
The HTC S740 will be available in Europe from September 2008, and may possibly have its first appearance at IFA in Berlin early next month. The lucky folks in Europe will enjoy Internet speeds up to 7.2 Mbps, that’s up to 18 times faster than our 3G networks! The price was not revealed at the time of writing this article.
Other features include a 2.4-inch QVGA screen, GPS/aGPS, 3.2 megapixel camera with fixed focus, 256 MB flash; 256 MB RAM, microSD slot for memory expansion, GPS, Bluetooth, FM radio, all powered by Qualcomm MSM7225, 528 MHz.
Key HTC S740 product specifications:
- Size: 116.3 x 43.4 x 16.3 mm
- Weight: 140g with battery
- Networks: WCDMA/HSDPA: 900/2100 MHz for EU and Asia
- GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- Maximum speed: UL = 384 kbps; DL = 3.6/7.2 Mbps**
- Operating system: Windows Mobile® 6.1 Standard
- Display: 2.4-inch QVGA screen
- Camera: 3.2 megapixel with fixed focus
- Internal memory: 256 MB flash; 256 MB RAM
- Memory card: microSD™
- WLAN: 802.11b/g
- Bluetooth®: 2.0 with EDR
- GPS: GPS/AGPS
- Interface: HTC ExtUSB™ (mini-USB and audio jack in one; USB 2.0 High-Speed)
- Battery: 1000 mAh
- Talk time: WCDMA: Up to 320 minutes*** / GSM: Up to 380 minutes***
- Standby time: WCDMA: Up to 400 hours*** / GSM: Up to 280 hours***
- Special features: Sliding QWERTY keyboard, FM radio, Google Maps, RSS Hub
- Chipset: Qualcomm® MSM7225, 528 MHz